What is this course about?
This course aims to equip first-time managers with practical tools and techniques in management. As a manager, you will find yourself not only accountable for yourself, but responsible for the management of others as well. Should you come across as friendly and approachable, but risk your subordinates taking advantage of your good nature? Or should you keep your distance and let them know whose boss?
To be a competent manager, you have to be effective in various management functions. These include communication, planning, team building, handling conflict, decision making, managing performance and coaching others. You also need to adopt a systematic approach towards managing people.
Through this course, you will have instant access to best practices and techniques of management. In addition, by working with other new managers participating in this course, you will get a unique opportunity to sharpen your managerial skills, update your knowledge and gain valuable insights into everyday management challenges.
Who is this course for?
This course is specifically designed and catered to newly appointed supervisors and managers with less than 3 years of managerial experience.
What will I learn?
Overview of Management
- To understand the roles and responsibilities of Managers
- Understand what makes a manager successful
- Explore the various ways to get the support of stakeholders
- Appreciate the importance of gaining the support of stakeholders
- To understand the fundamental essentials of communicating with direct reports
- Have knowledge of common first-time manager communication mistakes
- Learn what needs to be communicated to staff and its benefits
- Learn the various communication methods that should be used in a corporate environment
- Learn when to apply the various communication methods
- Understand the key differences between work groups and work teams
- To understand the various stages of team building
- To learn the various functions that a team needs to carry out in order to be effective
- Understand the barriers to team building and how to overcome them
Conflict Management and Decision Making
- Understand why conflicts arise and the conditions leading to it
- Learn about the elements and stages in the conflict process
- Explore various strategies for conflict management
Goal Setting and Performance Management
- Learn about the frequently committed first time manager mistakes when it comes to setting goals
- To understand the key principles associated with goal setting and performance management
- Learn how to set clear objectives and goals
- Learn the dos and don’ts of effective performance reviews
Coaching & Training
- Learn techniques in coaching and giving feedback
- To understand the needs and benefits of training staff
- To understand interpersonal development.
- To learn the concepts of the training cycle
Spend your first few months observing, learning the business and finding out more about the industry. Keep a log of everything you question. To know what's critical and what clutter, be humble and learn from those with institutional knowledge and memory. Take small steps instead of making extensive changes so as to minimize resistance and build rapport with your employees. You'll gradually develop your own management style and at the same time win the support of your employees.